Friday, June 20, 2008

June Club

Thanks to all who came to club last night (sorry I'm a slacker and don't have any pictures). I had so much fun and am already looking forward to August! Several people asked for recipes last night so here they are...

French Dip Sandwiches (recipe and pictures courtesy of www.the-daily-bite.blogspot.com.)

1 2.5-3 lb. beef roast (you can use a frozen roast if you want)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
2 1-ounce packages dry onion soup mix
2 c. water
2 cans beef broth
6-8 large buns (or more...6 would be VERY generous servings!)
Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and rub roast with salt and pepper.

When very hot, carefully place roast in pan and sear on all sides. You're not cooking the meat, you're just browning it quickly on all sides to add flavor and seal in the juices. Oh, and it smells so good--just like Grandma's house on a Sunday afternoon.

Place in crockpot and sprinkle with onions soup mix. Pour water and beef broth over roast.

Cook 8-10 hours on low or cook 4-5 hours on high and another 3-4 hours on low. It's hard to screw this part up; basically, the longer it cooks, the more tender it will be. But you know it's done when you pop a fork in it and the meat just falls apart.

When meat is ready, shred with a fork and place meat in crusty rolls. Top with cheese and broil open-faced in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melty. And don't even think about walking away--things can go from lightly-toasted to on fire within a matter of seconds when you're using your broiler. Ladle juices into small cups for dipping and enjoy!


Cranberry, Pecan & Pear Salad

Dressing
• ½ sugar
• ½ cup raspberry vinegar
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 2 tbsp. honey Dijon mustard (or honey mustard
• 2 tsp. raspberry jam
• Pinch or two of garlic salt

Stir sugar and raspberry vinegar together and then stir in remaining dressing ingredients.

Add pecans, dried cranberries, blue cheese, and 1 diced pear to two-three heads of romaine lettuce. Toss salad with dressing immediately before serving.


Pineapple Sherbet Ice Cream Dessert


• ½ gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
• ½ gallon pineapple sherbet, softened
• 4 bananas, chopped
• Juice from ½ lemon
• 1 bag frozen raspberries or strawberries, thawed

Slightly mash bananas and raspberries in large bowl. Add softened ice cream and sherbet. Stir together, serve immediately.


Spinach Salad (from the last party that was at my house)

Salad:
• 1 head red lettuce
• 1 package spinach leaves
• ¼ cup red onion
• 1/3 cup slivered almonds
• 1 cup grated jack cheese (mozzarella works well too)
• 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 2-3 mushrooms, sliced

Dressing:
• 2/3 c red wine vinegar
• 1 cup oil
• 1 tbsp poppy seeds
• 1 tsp tarragon
• 1 tsp dry mustard
• 1 tsp salt
• ¾ c sugar
• 2 tbsp finely chopped onion

Add dressing immediately before serving.


Oh... congratulations to Nikki, the proud owner of a new, fabulously chic apron.

8 comments:

J and Stac said...

Wendal you did such a great job! I can't believe how perfect you are at everything! Thanks for the recipes, I am sure that mine won't turn out perfect like yours! Club was fun, I am excited for next months!

A New Life Student said...

Thank you Martha! I will be making these recipes this week! You are a tough act to follow, everything was perfect and I had so much fun!

Alli said...

Looks yummy, i'll have to try these recipes! I just learned so much about you and your hubby...you two are so cute!brooklyn did tell me that you are going to stadium of fire though..she was excited for you!
Alli (brooklyns mom)

Nick and Amera said...

Ok, so I hope you got my email! Im sorry I didnt come....I was getting ready to head over but nick's dumb car wouldnt really start before school and then his car stopped running while driving on the freeway....so anyway, we spent our night fixing our dumb car!!! I heard it was awssome you betty crocker!!!! Sorry to stand ya up, I need phone numbers and stuff, so I know how to get a hold of people in pickles like that! Great job though, I heard you had a killer dinner!!

Robinson's said...

thanks for the food and fun! I can't wait to try and make it. It will be yummy!

MJ said...

Yes, yes, yes--thank you! (for both the recipes and the wonderful evening.) You set such a high bar to follow..

Kandas said...

Ok, I am sad now that I couldn't be there with all the yummy recipes and all the talk about how good everything was!! Thanks for the recipes, I will have to try them. However, I am getting excited already for August and to see everyone! Hopefully we run into eachother over all the festivities this month, because I don't know if I can wait till August!!

Cody and Nikell said...

Thanks for club! I made these sandwiches the other night for dinner and they were a hit.